The first burial in the Sakatah Cemetery was on June 12, 1862, for Sarah Maria (Stowe) Babcock, the first veteran burial was Lt. William Booth (who served in the Mexican War) in January, 1865.
Lt. Major Lewis Stowe & hi wife Hanna A. (Babcock), donated one acre of land and the Philbrick family donated another acre of land to have a future suitable burial place for the Waterville citizens. One of the original donors of land, J.L. Philbrick, was buried there on 5-10-1870. Additional land was purchased over the years and expansion was completed as necessary.
Building specs were drawn up in 1928 for a vault/storage building at the cemetery site. The construction was completed in 1928 and the building still stands today. It is used for storage as necessary.
A monument stands tall at the top of the hill in the middle section. This monument was dedicated to our Civil War soldiers and sailors. It reads: “Erected by W.R.C. and citizens of Waterville in memory of the union soldiers and sailors.” 1861-1865.
Sakatah Cemetery is a peaceful and tranquil place. It has acres of well-groomed serene hillsides and gently wooded areas. The graves of generations of local people who have gone before us are reminders of the circle of life.